What is the Storybook project?
The Ontario Depression Network (ODN) based at the ASR Chair in Suicide & Depression Studies, the University of Toronto and St. Michael’s Hospital is looking for individuals who:
- have attempted or contemplated suicide and have chosen to live
- are survivors of suicide loss
- have someone they care about who has made an attempt
These individuals are invited to share their experience in a short story, in order to empower those touched by suicide through creativity and educate the public. Select stories will be published in a book.
Who can participate?
- Authors must be aged 18+
- Previous writing experience is an asset but not necessary
- Submission must be based on personal experience
- Option to publish anonymously or under a pseudonym
Where will these stories go?
After review, all accepted submissions will be published online. A select number of stories will be incorporated into a printed book, the profits of which will go to the ASR Chair in Suicide and Depression Studies. Stories will be chosen to reflect different perspectives and types of experiences.
- Spread awareness of suicide and mental health issues
- Decrease the stigma associated with suicide
- Encourage conversation about these important issues
- Remind those in similar situations that they are not alone
- Help to encourage personal healing through creativity
All proceeds will support community outreach and research initiatives at the Arthur Sommer Rotenberg Suicide and Depression Studies program at St Michael’s Hospital.